Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Toddler TV

I know, evil words. We have not really let Nolan watch TV yet (he watches some sports). But, as he is nearing two, and our life is changing, I feel we may need to find a couple good shows for Nolan to watch. While we understand Nolan and he understands us, he is not really putting words together yet. Every baby is different, but our situation is we will be soon living in a country where he will not hear English except from us. So, it is time to find a couple good shows that we can buy on DVD and take with us.

We don't want just any show. We want something relatively simple with hopefully real or animated children. We want him to learn, but the show doesn't need to focus on learning so much that it isn't fun to watch. We mostly want him to hear kids speaking English. Some singing would be nice too.

So far I still love Sesame Street. My friend Matt mentioned that he watches Caillou with his daughter and so far I like this show too. I am looking for recommendations of a few shows that we can take with us (or watch on the SlingBox). Don't hesitate to leave a comment with your thoughts and why!

4 comments:

seeree, phd said...

Eli likes Sid the Science Kid and Dinosaur Train (Rahrah train! Eli does LOVE Rahrahs - in fact, he knows the names of lots of the different dinosaurs, while he cannot say dinosaur yet, you can understand him saying triceratops, stegasaurus, tyrannosaurus, etc). I've always heard good things about Baby Einstein, but Eli hasn't watched much of that just because you do have to buy the DVDs. good luck!

Little Bishops said...

I agree about Sid the Science Kid. I don't know much at all about Yo Gabba Gabba but my friends who take in foster kids LOVE Yo Gabba Gabba for their kids. I always liked Caillou as well and of course you can't go wrong with Sesame Street.

Little Bishops said...

Oh yeah...Little Einsteins are good too.

szembrodt said...

I would agree with the other folks here. My of the PBS kids programs are great for developing vocabulary. The boys are a little older than Nolan, but they love Sesame Street, Word Girl, and Cyberchase (math based).